Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2020 17:25:04 +0100
From:      Vincent DEFERT <20.100@defert.com>
To:        freebsd-translators@freebsd.org
Subject:   Self-Introduction: Vincent DEFERT (French)

Hi,

I'm interested in joining the French language team (or to create it if
there isn't such a group yet).
Here is my self-introduction as requested on the wiki.

Name: Vincent DEFERT
Location: Luxembourg
Login: 20.100@defert.com
Language: French
Profession or student status: Trainer (IT)

About Me:

Before being a trainer, I've been a full-stack developer for most of the
last 30 years.
My preferred programming language is Java, but I also enjoy C and shell
scripting.
I also have a good knowledge of ECMAscript (JavaScript), ES-based
frameworks
(React, Angular), SQL (Oracle, MySQL/MariaDB, Postgresql), HTML, CSS,
XML, XSLT, LISP.

I've discovered Linux in 1995 and fell in love with it. At that time, I was
developing XView applications on Solaris and was very happy to be able
to run
a Unix-like operating system on my 386DX-25!

Linux has continuously powered all my machines since 1999, and I've used it
at work as often as I could. I'm thankful to Linux to have provided me with
opportunities to learn quite a lot of things about hosting and Internet
standards and technologies.

However, my disapppointment about Linux - and, I must admit, some
feeling of
betrayal - has steadily grown over time up to the point I've actively been
looking for alternatives.

Over a year ago, I've found FreeBSD was quite well fitting my needs, both
technical and let's say 'spiritual'. It was still a bit rough around the
edges to my taste for desktop use, but release 12.1 has now filled that gap.

Besides my IT skills, I've always been interested in languages and
literature.
I occasionally write some poetry and I'm working on a novel (both in
French).
Having used English at work for decades, I'm quite confortable with it.
I also know a bit of German, which I'd like to improve.

I've been a preacher at a Protestant church for 3 years, so I also know how
to build a speech, talk to an audience, deal with journalists and organize
events.

Me and the FreeBSD Project:

I would be happy to contribute to development activities (e.g. debugging,
port maintenance), but I'm afraid it would be too much time-consuming
to be compatible with my family life.

However, I would also be very happy to contribute to documentation and
translation activities, which are likely to be sustainable in the long term.

I could use my writing and teaching skills to write technical documents
in English and/or translate articles and documentation to French.
This is why I was immediately interested when I saw the article on
freebsd.org about Weblate.

And of course, I would also be quite happy to spread the love of FreeBSD
in the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg through conferences, meetings,
trainings or any other suitable means. I'm contemplating creating
a FreeBSD meetup to try and see if there is any interest for such
things here.