Date:      Mon, 12 May 1997 22:14:00 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        michaelh@cet.co.jp, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_de.c ????

In message <199705130401.NAA13766@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au> Michael Smith writes:
: Can you be more specific?  Are these PCI or ISA cards?  Which chip(set)?

ISA.  Not sure, but I think 8390 based somehow.  There is one that has
NE83902 on it, while another one has two chips with labeled "MB86950B"
and "MB86953" (both Fuji parts).  I was told these are all NE2000
compatible, but I don't know where they are supposed to be on the bus
or IRQ range.  Oh, a third card: NE86950AB on it (hmmm, looks a little
familiar).

One card is labeled TIARA while another is TIARA LANCARD/F AT 10BT.
One has a NOVELL label on it, but using the -c option below you
suggested.

One has jumper blocks clearly labeled, but FreeBSD dosn't recognize
the card at all.  Might not be NE-2000 compatible?  That's the one
with the two chips I listed above....

: Alternatively, just sit down and boot with -c, going through the possible
: address values (0x280, 0x300, 0x320, 0x340, 0x360) looking for them.
: Then repeat the process looking for the IRQ.

Yuck.  Too bad you have to send packets before you know the IRQ is
correct or not :-(.  The Novell card lives at 0x320 I just discovered.

: Or are these cards where you know the settings but they don't show up?

For one of them yes.  Generally, I don't know where the cards actually
are, but the search technique above works well enough.

: The 'problem' with probing wildly for 'ed' cards is just that you have
: to kick them to make them talk.  If you kick something else instead, it
: might get upset.

Yes.  I'd love to say "I have a machine with nothing interesting in
it, please kick at will and tell me what you find out" :-)

Warner