Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 07:11:17 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A GUI greyscale interface by default

Ben Cohen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > Sh*t, I even _use_ GUI's myself (sometimes). I just don't want to get
> > STUCK with using them to accomplish things. That's all. We aleady have
> > /stand/sysinstall,
[snip]
> [Assuming that the -current /stand/sysinstall is the same as the 2.2.5
> version] I am not personally keen on the dialog interface---I prefer the
> interface in the sysadmsh utility under SCO UNIX V r4 (the one before the
> current Open Server, though I'm not sure what the exact name was).  This
> seemed to cover everything including kernel config (which, admittedly
> is different for FreeBSD), users, devices, packages and printers, etc.
> It was also customisable to a certain extent.
>
> (It has since been replaced in OpenServer by scoadmin, which isn't quite
> as nice but means that the same program is available in X using SCO's
> TCL.)
>
> The source for /stand/sysinstall says that the next version will be a
> complete rewrite.  What is/will the interface be like for the new version?
>
> Ben.
Haven't seen either. I did see some HP-UX admin screens briefly, but
haven't done admin work with it so I can't comment. I just want to keep
the GUI-to-script separation absolute, because I don't want to lose any
of the command-line text-file configuration interface. I'm afraid that
GUI will eventually lead to binary config files, and then we've lost the
access to mass config changes. I'm speaking specifically of user changes
in passwd, but there are other places where I want to use scripts to
make config changes. Before I get flamed, I realize that GUI doesn't
imply lack of access, I just want to keep it on the sane path from the
start.

I'm starting to dig through the ports install scripts and such with some
tips from Jordan. I think our problem needs to be addressed at a deeper
level first, before we even begin to talk GUI. For example, while
installing printing, I discovered that /stand/sysinstall is completely
blind to the /usr/ports/print branch of the ports tree. This means it
can't find ghostscript, freetype, etc., and therefore crashes. We need
to clear up these inconsistencies first, so the tools we have _work_.
These are the things that frustrate a new user, especially one who
doesn't know that disk 3 has some stuff and disk 4 has more. All he sees
is CRASH! error 1 error 1... I know how to look for these things, and I
_still_ can't find apsfilter on 2.2.6! Sure, if I'd been smart enough to
config my modem first, it would have gone out and fetched these
packages, but that's beside the point. I'm sure the ports-maintainer
goes nuts before each release trying to keep up with all of this, and we
need to work on it so it's automatically more consistent. That's what
computers are for.

I will say right up front that I am still a UN*X newbie, but I've bought
_lots_ of O'Reilly books and I'm slowly working my way through them. The
more I read, the more I see that FreeBSD is a rough-cut gem that just
needs a little TLC because it's really a perfect blue-white. It just
takes a few judicious taps and we'll have a brilliant-cut diamond
flashing in the Sun!