Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:14:37 +0100
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>
To:        Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD <PETER.HARRISON@dwp.gsi.gov.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: RE: FreeBSD starter machine...

> In the past I've run 4.6 on a P1 133mhz with 64MB RAM and a 3GB disk. Mor=
e recently I was running 5.3 on a Thinkpad 600e PII 333mhz with 160MB RAM a=
nd 2GB slice within the disk (until the hardware died). Although the OS ran=
 fine on both of these there are limitations. You'd probably need to steer =
clear of the more 'newbie' friendly window managers such as Gnome or KDE (b=
oth the above ran Fluxbox handily to save on both speed and diskspace), and=
 that may effect the required learning curve.

I'm running 4.8 on a 486dx2 50MHz with 32MB RAM and 20GB disk. It's
slow as h***, but it works. It's running fluxbox, but most of the
time, I don't use X11 at all.