Date:      Fri, 08 May 1998 16:12:09 +0000
From:      Jack Rusher <jar@rci.net>
To:        dwilde1@ibm.net
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NW+IOP Presentation

Don Wilde wrote:

> Out on the floor, the main comment I got was that we need to find a way
> to generate hard numbers. Our first target need not be W-NT, but if we
> can show comparable numbers of servers or seats to an HP or Sun or AIX,
> we will be on their radar screens for serious products like Netective
> and Oracle and such, things we need. These people don't care how much
> your hardware or OS costs, only that we are a viable potential customer
> for them. We are, we just need to convince them of that. They are also
> well aware that we exist and that our platform works. That is not the
> problem. Numbers to convince beancounters, that IS the problem.

To add an upside to this thread, I know of several important products
from other parts of Unix-land that are being ported to the BSDs.  We are
involved in a few of them, and I will let you guys know as each product
ships.

Some that are on the way:

Veritas filesystem (currently a highly Sun-targeted product)
Firstwatch high available clustering and failover (again, normally Sun)
Some nice GUI tools for handling clusters (this is a running theme
for me because of what we do with our FreeBSD servers), which are easy
to port because they were written in Java.

Some numbers to add to the "how big is the market" spreadsheet (even if
we are only a drop in the bucket):

We currently have ~25 FreeBSD servers in our core NOCs in two cities,
and are deploying ~50 more by Q3 of '99 in four more NOCs.  Our
enterprise
also has ~75 FreeBSD servers colocated at client facilities to handle
firewall/gateway/departmental e-mail services.  We do millions a year in
revenue, and we have scores of F1000 companies running on FreeBSD RIGHT
NOW.  The shit works.  Highest uptimes are ~400 days.  We can afford
whatever
we want, and we choose FreeBSD because it is the best OS we have ever
seen
(commercial or otherwise).  The only servers we use that aren't FreeBSD
are
Sun Enterprise servers for Oracle, so: Make 'em port Oracle!

-jack