Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 04:30:01 PDT
From:      "Albert Fields" <afieldsml@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pnp(4) no longer allowed by userconfig, pnp0 missing

Passing this on to freebsd-questions and freebsd-hardware (originally posted
in -stable), because I am unsure of which ml is most on topic.
-----

Hi,

>From memory it is now built in...you no longer need to specify it in your
>config file...but I can't find where that is documented.

I have 'option PNPBIOS' enabled in my config file, however as far as manual
configuration of ISA PnP devices at boot goes, can this be done anymore?  I
was under the impression that you could use config> pnp ... commands to
accomplish assigning specific devices IO, IRQ, DMA.  And to disable devices.
  This allowed FreeBSD to change these parameters at boot manually and for
device drivers to manually specify ISA PnP resources.

>Have you tried booting with -c and using the pnp command? I'm just
>guessing here.

I have tried booting into userconfig and entering the pnp commands manually;
the follow appears:

config> pnp
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> ?
Command                 Description
-------                 -----------
ls                      List currently configured devices
port <devname> <addr>   Set device port (i/o address)
irq <devname> <number>  Set device irq
drq <devname> <number>  Set device drq
iomem <devname> <addr>  Set device maddr (memory address)
iosize <devname> <size> Set device memory size
flags <devname> <mask>  Set device flags
enable <devname>        Enable device
disable <devname>       Disable device (will not be probed)
eisa <number>           Set the number of EISA slots to probe
quit                    Exit this configuration utility
reset                   Reset CPU
visual                  Go to fullscreen mode.
help                    This message

But, NO 'pnp' command anymore.

>If it has been incorporated perhaps you could let freebsd-docs know as
>there are references to controller pnp0 not just in the man page but the
>FAQ and possibly elsewhere.

I will send out a message to freebsd-docs about the manpage but I am still
unclear as to what has changed, and why.

Albert