Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:41:02 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: M-systems DiskOnChip

In message <200003221713.KAA20136@freeway.dcfinc.com> "Chad R. Larson" writes:
: As I recall, chad wrote:
: > The device driver on the development system works.  We can mount the
: > DiskOnChip (as /dev/fla0s4a -- we fdisk'd and disklabel'd it).  We
: > can get a kernel installed on the DiskOnChip, and get the BIOS to load
: > that kernel into memory.  But we can't figure out what magic incantation
: > it takes to get the kernel to know where its root filesystem is.
: >
: > The "kernel" config option in the config file seems to be being
: > ignored, and I can't grok the disk naming conventions in
: > /boot/loader.rc for the "rootdev" variable.
: >
: > So we get as far as the kernel trying to change root to wd0a and
: > panicing.
:
: I'd like to back up a step.
:
: Am I wrong in assuming that a "root on" clause on the "kernel" line
: in the config file should take care of this?

It might.  I had bad luck with this.

I have had good luck with labeling the DOC correctly as being a
DOC2K in the type line of the disklabel.  It is so simple I don't see
why people want to make it harder...

: Or that some variable setting in the loader.rc file should do it
: too?

Not in 3.x.

Warner