Date:      Sat, 06 Jul 2002 10:21:08 -0700
From:      Orion Hodson <hodson@icir.org>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADI 1885 audio support

/-- Randy Bush wrote:
| >> the intel D850EMV2 mobo has an on-board audio using the ADI 1885.  does
| >> freebsd -stable support it?  i can not find it in HARDWARE.TXT.
| > The D850 motherboards have ich2 sound controllers which are supported on
| > FreeBSD for playback, recording may still have some limitations.  AFAIK,
| > the ADI1885 is integrated in the ich series chipsets as the ac97 codec.
|
| do i use luigi's pcm0 driver?

The current driver code is part of Cameron Grant's newpcm architecture.
Support for the ich can be had by:

	adding 'device pcm' to your kernel config and installing the freshly
	built kernel

or:

	adding 'snd_ich_load="yes"' to /boot/loader.conf.  The driver will
	be loaded at boot time as kernel loadable module.

The appropriate device entries need to be made with:
	# cd /dev
	# ./MAKEDEV snd0

| and what is the best config for a matrox 450?

I don't know the specifics of this card, but to get started, install X 4.2
from ports and then as root run "XFree86 -configure".  This should probe the
system and generate a usable XF86Config file.  If anybody on the list has one
of these cards and wants to post their config...

Cheers
- Orion