Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 11:36:08 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Plea to the doc team

On Friday,  4 October 2002 at 21:27:57 -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> Fellow Doc committers and contributers,
>
> Its been said over and over the use of 'you' in technical docs looks
> bad.

Many things have been said over and over.  One should not believe all
statements.  Overly terse and obfuscatory language is also
undesirable.

> While I'm going to be at working cleaning up the doc tree of bad
> gammar (run-ons, incorrect use of semicolons, to many useless words
> and fragments) I'll try to kill the use of 'you'.

You should check spelling and other punctuation too.

> My request is, if you remove the 'you' from documents you can cut
> down extremly on the amount you type, the amount a reader will read,
> and documentation size in general.  This IMO is a good thing and
> will also cut down on grammar bogons.

Style is more than verbosity or lack of same.

I'm not heavily involved in the doc project, but I'm seeing too many
rule-based modifications.  Yes, overuse of the second person can be
annoying, but it must bee seen in context.  I'd rather see people
write documentation which is intelligible and useful rather than
documentation which merely adheres to certain rules.

Greg