Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:37:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        abial@webgiro.com (Andrzej Bialecki), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), green@FreeBSD.ORG (Brian Fundakowski Feldman), dfr@FreeBSD.ORG, jlemon@FreeBSD.ORG, kbyanc@posi.net, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Final call for review: Dynamic sysctls.

> >> Please obtain an OID arc from IANA, and establish your
> >> hierarchy under an OID, with both dynamic and static subtrees,
> >> so that these controls can also be exported via SNMP, ACAP,
> >> LDAP, SLPv2, Saluatation, HP JetSend, JINI, LISA, and T-Spaces,
> >> as well as other externalization protocols.
> >
> >Sounds like a good idea. How do I go about it?
>
> I already have registered a vendor OID with IANA for FreeBSD.
>
> Terry on the other hand doesn't realize what he is saying here
> so don't pay too much attention to him for now.

Poul, I'm sick and tired of people who piss everyone off saying
crap like your statement above, merely to have the last word in
a discussion.

I'm not going to let you get away with it this time.  I daresay
you have pissed off as many FreeBSD people as Charles Hannum did
NetBSD people.

Yeah, I'm only participating in the relevent IETF working groups,
while you are ...nowhere to be found.

Poul, try avoiding the ad hominim attacks.  You yourself are more
than vulnerable.

---

The sysctl namespace is one that should be externalized via
SNMP, at a minimum, and should probably be externalized via
ACAP and LDAP in order to permit FreeBSD systems to autoconfigure
themselves using a Cyrus ACAP server or an LDAP directory
which could be acting as an SLPv2 DA for registering service
discovery information from systems that want to offer services
to other machines on the network.

For example, servers.

For example, FreeBSD-based thin servers.

For example, FreeBSD-based thin servers autoconfiguring themselves
from an IBM SecureWay or IBM NuOffice directory server.

It's very important that an OID-arc be allocated for configuration
data that could be externalized.  ACAP does not technically
require this, but LDAPv3 _does_ and SNMP _does_.

It's also important that the OIDs be immutably associated with
the sysctl elements which they represent, so as to preclude one
company form implementing things with one schema, and another
with a different schema; then whose "FreeBSD schema" do you
load into the management console?  Which one is "right"?

In particular, it is _very_ important that the variant part
of the namespace be isolated from the invariant part of the
namespace, and that FreeBSD follow the relevent RFCs with
regard to schema definitions, as opposed to "rolling its own",
like most morons who believe they understand SNMP are wont to
do with their own OID-spaces, and screw the people who have
to load umpteen million object definitions into their consoles
in order to manage their networks.

I am most concerned with the "you can ignore this part of the
namespace" for the variant parts, since there is no way a
managment console, such as the one from Tivoli systems, will be
able to interpret this correctly.

The LDAP and ACAP externalizations are more interesting in this
regard, since these protocols are capable of exporting subschema
entries such that a console/browser _could_ interpret and
manipulate this data (for example, for supporting configuration
for a deployment of tens of thousands of FreeBSD based thin
servers).

Did you even _read_ the message concerning the alpha stuff,
and _see_ how large the alphabetic sysctl namespace has grown?

Just because you aren't using FreeBSD for something commercial,
don't assume that others aren't.

Thanks.
Terry Lambert
Infrastructure Architect