Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 1995 09:59:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, john@zyqad.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

> Rodney W. Grimes stands accused of saying:
> > > Generally, the 1G disk will perform better than a 1/2 price 500M unit,
> > > so two disks is false economy.
> >
> > This is absolutly the opposite of the real situation.  2 disk drives of
> > 1/2 the size and identical performance characteristecs give you 2 spindles
>
> But that's what I'm getting at; if you take a 1G disk that costs twice as
> much as some other 500M disk, it'll generally have _better_ performance
> characteristics.

And my point is that this is not ``generally true'', the performance delta
in 500MB vs 1G drives is zero today.  If you know what models of drives
to look at and do some carefull agressive shopping:

XX. BAS DEC3053L Dec/Quantum 535MB 3.5"x1", SCSI-II, 5400 RPM, 9.5mS   $ 195.00
XX. MER FUJ-1606S Fujitsu M1606S 1.0GB 3.5"x1" 5400RPM 10mS            $ 427.00

Those are my current best price point drives in both sizes.  Note that my
best 535MB drive is actually less than 1/2 the price of my best 1G drive,
and it has a _faster_ seek time, and all my iozone and bonnie data says
the DEC3053L is a clear winner over the 1606S.

> > that can be doing data trasfer at the same time and with proper load
> > balancing gives 2 times the over all performance.  I have sold off _all_
> > of my 1 and 2G drives and now stack 535MB 5400RPM 4.4MB/sec drives up to meet
> > what ever capacity I need.  My make world times are down 45 minutes or so due
>
> It's nice if you can afford it; here the price point is on the 1G disks,
> so that's what I recommend.  It's an interesting approach, though.  I'm
> speccing up a new workstation, so I might see how it pans out as compared
> to a 4G Micropolis M3243.

The curve on $/MB falls off rapidly above 2G, but up to that point I can
still stack these DEC 535MB drives up at a lower cost.  At 3G the curve
swings the $ point the other way, but 8 of these to make a 4G drive would
be at $1560, making the M3243 a clear winner in the <$1400 range.  But,
performance would be _far_ better with the 8 drives _if_ you can load
balance the application accross multiple spindls _or_ you had stripping
technology in the OS you where running.

> > > You can only boot from the first two disks in the system.  IDE disks count
> > > first, then SCSI, so you can only boot from a SCSI disk if there's only
> > > one IDE.
> >
> > If you have only scsi disks you can boot from drive 5 if you like, unless
> > someone again has broken that piece of code :-(.
>
> That's dependant on BIOS support for more than two disk drives; certainly for
> the Ultrastor controller that's optional (and has caused problems with
> other non-operating systems).  I don't recall what the situation is with
> other controllers 8/.

For any current production performance class scsi controller (bt, aha, ncr)
the above mutliple drive support in the BIOS is a given.  Your talking about
abosolete, no longer avaliable, low performance controllers if they are
missing this feature.