Date:      Fri, 06 Dec 1996 10:40:20 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Following positions seeking volunteers!

As some of you may already know, our long suffering and now
far-too-overloaded Webmaster / Docmaster, John Fieber, has asked that
one or more people be found to fill his shoes in the Webmaster &
Docmaster roles so that he may focus on his doctoral studies.

In order to make recruitment a little easier, he has also provided the
following list of "positions", each of which could probably use a
dedicated person though I also don't see anything wrong with a truly
motivated individual taking on several hats at once.

It also goes without saying that any volunteer for these positions
should be truly willing to stick it out for the long haul (>= 1 year)
since it takes a fair while just to ramp up on this stuff, much less
become really good at it.  If you're only interested in doing this for
for a week or a month then you should probably consider instead simply
volunteering to stand on the sidelines and help out the central
volunteer, whomever that might be, in a more peripheral role.  This is
also a perfectly valuable contribution, and one which is especially
encouraged as some of these jobs are rather difficult for one person
to do alone.  We more than welcome "soldiers" as well as "generals,"
though it must be said that generals are sort of what we're really
stuck for most at the moment.

All we can offer you in return is a good opportunity for learning and
a chance to do something truly important for FreeBSD.  Documentation
and Webmastering can be a somewhat thankless job, and the better job
you do it seems the more people will take you for granted, but it's
nontheless absolutely *vital* that FreeBSD continue to grow and
improve in these areas, and your contributions are the only way that
will happen.

Anyone?

Thanks!

					Jordan

Positions:

Webmaster:

  Overall responsibility for making sure that the things listed below
  get done.

Build Engineer

  Arrange for building the "live" web pages from the CVS repository on
  a daily basis.  A good working knowledge of SGML is essential.  The
  current setup uses Makefiles and some moderately advanced SGML
  features to generate the pages that get posted on server.

Mirror Manager

  Direct mirroring activities.  Set up and maintain mirroring
  mechanism(s), keep in regular contact with mirror administrators to
  negotiate changes, such as running various CGI scripts on mirrors
  rather than on the master site.  Set up criteria for being listed
  as an "Official" mirror on the home page.

News Bureau

  Track new release, important changes and other news (eg: monitor the
  freebsd-announce lists).  Maintain the "Release info" and
  "Newsflash" pages.  A weekly or bi-weekly "Whats new with FreeBSD"
  summarizing interesting developments in or related to FreeBSD would
  be a great addition, but a fair amount of work.

Gallery/Commercial Editor

  Receive and verify submissions for the FreeBSD Gallery and the
  Commercial Vendors pages.  Weed dead links and periodically verify
  the use of FreeBSD by those listed.

Style Police/Art Director

  Ensure consistent and effective use of layout, graphics and logical
  structure of the site as a whole.  Assist other WWW developers in
  implementing the "www.freebsd.org look and feel". A background in
  HCI, with a focus on electronic text and graphic design, is
  *extremely* desirable.

Handbook/FAQ/Tutorial Editor

  Solicit new materials, arrange for updating of obsolete sections,
  mundane style editing.  Good technical writing skills essential
  (since hackers are notoriously terrible writers).  A familiarity
  with the "novice user" is also helpful.  Scanning the
  freebsd-questions list is a must to keep in touch with what should
  be in the FAQ.  A broad familiarity with FreeBSD/Unix/X11 is more
  important than a deep familiarity.

  Note:  The head FAQ maintainer's position has now been assumed
  by Peter da Silva <pds@FreeBSD.ORG>, though the Handbook / Tutorials
  still need attention and I'm sure that Peter would certainly welcome
  any and all help with the FAQ as well.

Database Engineer

  Manage (and hopefully improve) the mailing list archives and web
  page searching.

CGI Engineer

  Watch over CGI functionality, such as cvsweb and gnats.  There is
  great potential in developing a cgi interface to the ports too.

Other

  A variety of other pages (eg Support) don't neatly fit in the above
  categories.  Someone needs to watch over these.