Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 22:46:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        barney@databus.com (Barney Wolff)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Apache Motherboard????

> >From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
> >Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 16:49:28 -0800 (PST)
> >
> >NONE!  The Orion chip set is seriously flawed in several design aspects,
> >and even the B0 stepping will not fix these flaws.  Until the second
> >generation P6 chip sets come out of Intel my advice on Pentium Pro is
> >simply _don't_ do it.
>
> Could you provide particulars or a URL?  For example, Intel's web
> server says that a bursting PCI device can lock out an ISA device, and
> advises that one only use PCI-master NICs, for example.  Is that all
> that's wrong, or is it something that can't be worked around?

I wish I could provide particulars, but NDA's prevent most of that, one
place to go look is on www.sfgate.com, there should be a SF Examinier
Article (search for Intel) about some of the problems.  Other problems
have not be acknowledged by Intel in any public forum that I can find :-(.

Ask yourself this question though, why did Intel in September or so of
1995 say that the Pentium Pro was only going to the Server class market
initially, and then in November/Decemeber start shipping product into
the home/desktop market.  Can you say ``chipset that would not work well
in a server, so dump it into the desktop market until we can come up with
one that will''.

Also ask yourself why there are not any SMP Orion machines on the market.

I wish Intel would have learned it's leason from the FPU bug, the Neptune
bus master fiasco, the Triton Parity mess etc.