Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 17:00:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Skip Hansen <shansen@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xfree86 3.3.1 & FreeBSD 2.2.5 & Mach32 sync problem

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Skip Hansen wrote:

> I've been using FreeBSD and Xfree86 with the Mach32 X server for
> several years without problem.  Recently I upgraded from FreeBSD
> 2.1.6 to 2.2.5 with Xfree 3.3.1 and I'm now having a minor problem
> that's driving me crazy.  The problem is that when I exit X (or
> switch to a text mode virtual console) my monitor loses horizontal
> sync.  Using vidcontrol to reset the console mode does not restore
> sync. The only thing that will get the monitor to sync again is a
> complete system restart.  The generic VGA256 server does not have
> this problem.

Then the new X server isn't restoring a consistent video mode on exit.

Try getting it to enter the command `vidcontrol VGA_80x25' either using a
script or blind-typing it.  This has syscons change the video mode, and
hopefully it'll restore the mode to a consistent state.

This problem should be reported to the XFree86 developers.