Date:      Tue, 11 May 2004 15:21:42 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        rand@meridian-enviro.com (Douglas K. Rand)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reformatting laptop & ACPI: special partitions?

> From: rand@meridian-enviro.com (Douglas K. Rand)
> Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 16:33:20 -0500
>
> Kevin> Some systems also support a light sleep which only stops the
> Kevin> CPU and turns off the display. This one still drains the
> Kevin> battery pretty quickly.
>
> Are there any "screen saver" options for ACPI laptops? None of the
> Dell laptops I've had support DPMS, and being able to just turn off
> the screen after a few minutes of unuse would save alot.

It's FreeBSD that has lacked support of VESA DPMS.

If you are running CURRENT, John Baldwin has added VESA DPMS to the
acpi_video kernel module. I suspect that this will work on you system,
but I am never positive of anything on any other laptop. google on
acpi_video_dpms.patch in Google Groups.

I don't know when this might be committed to CURRENT, let alone MFCed to
STABLE.

If your Dell really does not support DPMS, I'm not sure where to try.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)