Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 19:10:37 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Damon Anton Permezel <dap@damon.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motif question

> > > The jdk115 port uses lesstif-0.81.
> >
> > *yuck*
>
> Why?  What are the (free) alternatives?

None that I'm aware.

> Although I would rather get back
> to actually trying to write some Java code, rather than debugging AWT/Lesstif
> interactions, I might be tempted to argue that we should be working towards
> either making lesstif better, or AWT Motif-independent.

I simply don't have time to mess around with making LessTif better, and
AWT is probably not going to be Motif-independant anytime in the near
future given that Sun's controls it.  I'd rather make a distribution
that we can legally distributte that contains the Motif library in a
'acceptably' re-distributable form if possible.

> > Is there any chance of the diffs being released anytime soon, so that
> > those of us with Motif can create their own binary releases w/out these
> > annoying bugs?  (Replacing the LessTif shlib with the Motif version
> > causes SEGV's, which is what I believe the rest of the article is
> > about.)
>
> Sure.  The next beta (where I finally lay to rest the busy-wait-poll problem
> for the I/O) is ready, except I wanted to solve the SEGV problems, and some
> other issues I've seen when running some of the demo apps.
> Being somewhat paranoid, I like to test stuff, from several Os-levels, etc.
> My current plan is to fix all outstanding bugs (or accept defeat in 1
> more day), publish the next binary, try to figure out how to generate
> diffs, and publish them.

Great.  The sooner the better.

> The main issue is time, I guess, and the "cleanup source and figure out how
> to generate diffs" task just keeps getting lower priority.

The advantage of giving out diffs is that it allows others to leverage
off of your work, and possibly take over the distribution problems.  I
have to build a dist. for my co-workers already, so I'd like to spend at
least a bit of time trying to build a Motif-ish release.

Nate