Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 12:42:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd vs. linux and NT chart

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> True. But since the newest versions of the ports are all in ELF format,
> what you'll get will be old.

What you will get is ports that were stable at that time, which seems to
be your goal. You say "... I don't need the bleeding edge, current blah
blah", then you say "... what you'll get will be old".

Make up your mind.

> Again, there ought to be a way to get the most up-to-date ports for any
> RELEASE version that's up to a year old.

There also ought to be a paid staff of 2000 people maintaining said ports.
We don't always get what we want, but the ports system as it stands now is
the best compromise.

- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -