Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 07:00:47 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Dave Yost <Dave@Yost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Linux PR firestorm disaster (w.r.t. FreeBSD)

Dave -
	The name game can get too ugly for a publicity stunt. From what I've
seen of the two sides, opinions are strongly held. There's also the
matter of 'BSD', which we are only allowed to use in conjunction with
Free, Net or Open by the graces of BSDi in the original AT&T settlement
(from what I gather in 5 yrs of BSD-list watching). Another issue sure
to come up would be Beastie, our BSD mascot. Guarantee that'd get ugly,
just scan back through -advocacy, it has come up regularly. I've been on
both sides of that issue.
	A far better 'spectacle' would be the re-integration of the three
freebies mentioned above into one super-BSD, or at least full
compatibility between the three as far as binaries and ports go.
	If it's "back to", would you care to write some articles for
http://www.DaemonNews.com or take a stab at submitting to a trade pub
like InfoWorld or Dr. Dobbs or WebTechniques? These are gentler, but
less dangerous in the long run.
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *