Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 23:51:49 +0100
From:      Anders Hagman <anders.hagman@netplex.se>
To:        Poppa Mike <mike@coloradosurf.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mac file sharing

Hi

On fredagen den 17 January 2003
> Does anyone know of any "howto" pages? Anyone with experience know of
> particular "gotchas"? Easy setup? Tricks?
>
> Please Cc: me as I'm not subscribed to -isp.

I hop I can help you with a minimal setup. I have used the same setup for three years without any stops (except power drops).

1. Use the latest port with TCP/IP support. Try to convince the mac users to use TCP/IP insted of DDP (apple talk layer 3). Faster and you can use LPD
on the unix for printing.

2. If you have to use DDP you have to edit the usr/local/etc/rc.d/netatalk.sh

case $1 in
        start)  echo -n ' netatalk'

#--- start apple talk routing RTMP and the protocol ZIP and NBP (eg. ~ routed)
                ${PREFIX}/libexec/atalkd
#--- annonce the name Workstation and netatalk in zone training (eg NetBIOS name service) because it's a computer and it runs netatalk.
                ${PREFIX}/bin/nbprgstr -p 4 training:Workstation &
                ${PREFIX}/bin/nbprgstr -p 4 training:netatalk &
#--- To support apple talk printers (eg lpd)
                ${PREFIX}/libexec/papd
#--- File service both apple talk and TCP/IP. Supports 10 connections and has the name training. -s and -f are defaults. (eg NFS)
                ${PREFIX}/libexec/afpd  -c 10 -n training -s ${PREFIX}/etc/AppleVolumes.system \
                -f ${PREFIX}/etc/AppleVolumes.default
                ;;

The user will se the file server in the chooser by selecting service file server and zone training. It will appear with the name training.

3. To make TCP/IP work you only need to have the line
#--- File service both apple talk and TCP/IP. Supports 10 connections and have has the name training. -s and -f are defaults. (eg NFS)
                ${PREFIX}/libexec/afpd  -c 10 -n training -s ${PREFIX}/etc/AppleVolumes.system \
                -f ${PREFIX}/etc/AppleVolumes.default

You can add a -D to disable DDP connections.

To connect to the server you use the domain name.

4. Next step are the volumes or shared directories (eg NFS). In the file /usr/local/etc/AppleVolumes.default you will find
a lot of parameters. I have only used one.

#--- The ~ associates with users home directory. The codepage enables the use of more then the "*#%&" us ascii. In my case Swedish
~ codepage=maccode.iso8859-1

In the file /usr/local/etc/AppleVolumes.system you will find file extentions. Add your own of you need to. Last in the file I have added
the shared volumes.

#--- /u3 is the unix directory and Gemensam (Swedish for common) is the apple share volume name. I use the parameter casefold
on this volume because it's shared with some windows users and windows can't differ between upper and lower case file names.

/u3 Gemensam casefold=tolower codepage=maccode.iso8859-1

5. And as you wrote you need options NETATALK in the kernel.

--
Regards
/Anders Hagman

Netplex AB