Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:00:47 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        kent@iastate.edu
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Notebook install

>   Hi.  I would like to install FreeBSD on a Digital HiNote 745.
> I am concerned about the support that FreeBSD has for pcmcia cards.

We all are.

> I would like to have a fast ethernet/modem combo card and a scsi
> card.

No combo cards are supported.  We currently only support the Linksys
fast ethernet card (and it's not).  Until Cardbus is a reality, fast
ethernet on PCCARD doesn't make any sense anyway.

> What models does FreeBSD support?

For 10Mbps ethernet, almost anything NE2000 compatible, or the 3Com
3c589.  Modem cards almost all work fine.

SCSI card support in 3.0 is nonexistent, as the aic driver hasn't been
CAMified yet.  Practically, SCSI support in a laptop is almost useless
anyway; you don't want to be lugging all the extra peripherals around.

I have an Adaptec 1460 and I think I've used it once in the last 12
months.  OTOH, I also have an Iomega Jaz Traveler, and I tend to use it
by preference (it *is* supported in 3.0).

>  Will the internal CDROM and floppy be usable?

Yes.

> Honestly, how does FreeBSD and Linux compare in laptop technology?

Linux defintely has broader support.  FreeBSD's support is good enough
for enough of us that it's not been a critical development issue for a
while.

>  It would seem from my glance that Linux has more complete support.  I
> would like to continue to use FreeBSD but if the support is not there
> there is little choice.

That depends on what you want to do.  If you want the best laptop
support, you should be running Windows 98.

Don't put the cart before the horse; pick the platform and the
peripherals to do the job.