Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:31:07 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Dennis Jun" <dennisjun@home.com>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: BSD licence vs GPL

No, what happens is that the second that the commercial company closes
their source, the source "forks", ie becomes disconnected from the
public source that everyone is working in.

I question if your friend has worked on large code projects much.

The problem with forking off your own private copy of BSD code is that
now, every time that someone makes a refinement to the BSD code that
makes it better, if you want to take advantage of that refinement you
have to go back and re-implement it into your own code.  This is pretty
easy to do initially, but the more divergence you yourself place into your
own private source, the harder it becomes.

For example, say you get BSD networking code and you see a race condition
in it.  You fix it, and decide that your fix is so fantastic that your not
going to share it.  Then, 3 months later someone working on the public code
notices the same race condition, and fixes it, but does it differently
than you did.

Then, a few weeks later someone working on the BSD code implements this
great new feature that has a component that's integrated into the public
BSD anti-race code.  Now, you have a lot of work, because you have
to go rip out your race fix and redo it like the BSD code, then integrate in
this new feature.  And, what if you have continued to make modifications to
the code, so now when you rip out your race fix, you break more of your
own code.  And, if you decide not to rip out your race fix, then you have to
reimplement the new feature in the public code.

You can imagine what happens if this sort of thing has been going on for
years
and years with hundreds of little changes - implementing new features
basically
eventually means that you cannot merely copy them into your code from the
BSD
code, you have to completely reengineer them.

What ends up happening if the fork exists for years and years
is that your code ultimately becomes so different from the BSD code that ie
completely loses all resemblance to the BSD code, ie: it simply no longer
IS BSD code.  Thus, you eventually end up losing access to the very code
that you originally decided to "close"

To give you some examples of why this is so stupid, there have been a number
of security vulnerabilities posted in the last couple of years that
were repaired in publc BSD code within a day of release of knowledge
of the vulnerability, yet commercial software vendors (who purported to
be using Real Live BSD networking code) took weeks to issue patches.
Well I can tell you, this is a recipie for getting your commercial software
ejected from any self-respecting ISP.