Date:      Sat, 8 May 2010 20:25:22 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        portmgr@freebsd.org
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   [RFC] Deprecate @srcdir in pkg_install manifests

Hi Arch and Portmgr,
    Found another item that I'm proposing for removal -- @srcdir. Now,
first off, here's what it does (from pkg_create):

     @srcdir directory
             Set the internal directory pointer for _creation only_ to
             directory.  That is to say that it overrides @cwd for package
             creation but not extraction.

This construct:

1. Isn't used anywhere in /usr/ports's pkg_plist* files.
2. Isn't used in /usr/src .
3. Is semi-broken in pkg_create as it's treated as a really awkward
special case, like so:

        else if (p->type == PLIST_CWD || p->type == PLIST_SRC)
            fprintf(totar, "-C\n%s\n", p->name);

    So if I specify @srcdir multiple times, pkg_create will fall in on itself.
4. It over-complicates things, as the -p option basically already sort
of provides this level of functionality; the only pro for doing this
that I can think of is if someone had tainted vs untainted files that
they wanted to install, then using @srcdir with a custom manifest and
directory would simplify things. I argue that if they're doing that,
they should be using a chroot or a jail anyhow because package
maintainers would potentially unnecessarily taint the system with
their environment and the packages wouldn't be necessarily as safe to
redistribute.
    Another item I'll be talking about with flz and other folks at
BSDCan, but I wanted to see if anyone had any concerns that they
needed to air here before a final decision was made by portmgr.
Thanks,
-Garrett