Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 08:39:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        chat
Subject:   more than 26 characters in domainname

	the internic is is remarkable.
	tried to register a domainname longer than 26 characters.
	(dont ask why.......i am not a suit)

	get back the following:
put_value: value <federalreserveautomationservices.org> exceeds buffer size of <26> chars

	called the internic.
	they tell me domainname can not be longer than 26 characters.

	rfc1123 2.1

      Host software MUST handle host names of up to 63 characters and
      SHOULD handle host names of up to 255 characters.

	the poor guy on the phone did not know waht an rfc is.

	send the folks that bombed the clinic in birmingham alabama
	to network solutions.......put them out of our misery.
jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler      FreeBSD Core Team, Postmaster       jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--The Power to Serve                          http://www.freebsd.org/