Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:38:58 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No support for slices?

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 11:21:44PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de> wrote:
>
> > It does support partitioning (disklabel style), but it doesn't have to
> > use fdisk style slices.
> > SRM doesn't care about partition style at all - it takes the bootrecord
> > and that's it.
>
> IIRC, SRM excepts bootrecord information in the same place taken
> up by incompatible information in an fdisk-style MBR.

Naturaly a PC master boot record is of no use on alphas.
The question is more if the partition table itself collides with SRM
bootrecords - I don't know fdisk partitions well enough to tell.
Doesn't linux use fdisk style partitions on alpha?

ticso@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de