Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2001 00:55:36 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        Noses <noses@noses.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Purchasing a new laptop...advice?

noses@noses.com wrote to my:
> > There are 2 German layouts
>
> One.

Wrong ! Two at least since I've been working in Germany in various
companies since 1985.
Are you _In_ Germany to be authoratitive ?
Your .com address might be anywhere, possibly USA ?

> Anything else is non-standard.

One might claim some are standards, & some are merely usages, but that would
be unconvincing, merely degenerating to "What's a `Standard' ?"

- X terminals at DASA(EADS) in Ottobrunn, Bavaria, Germany have 2
  German & 2 Swiss German keyboards.
- The trilingual patent examiners at the European Patent Office, Munich,
  say they use Swiss German keyboard 'cos it includes all the characters
  they need, (official languages: English German & French).
  I'm not sure how many non Swiss-German but still German layouts
  Austrian & German & Swiss friends there could name, but I think more than 1.
- I can't clearly rememeber what forms of German layouts Siemens used
  while I was building a trilingual USA/German/Cyrillic kbd & font interface
  back in 1992, but I think their keyboards varied too.
- I append 4.1.1-RELEASE/usr/share/syscons/keymaps ; md5 *german*
    MD5 (german.cp850.kbd) = 828aab44f66193a74804d5a544d8fad0
    MD5 (german.iso.kbd) = 75fdc5acb2ec1f23f30eb63a3e387e26
    MD5 (swissgerman.cp850.kbd) = 7326888204968e60ca97c6416d738d34
    MD5 (swissgerman.iso.acc.kbd) = 271f51dbee352511290bbd4103e4e749
    MD5 (swissgerman.iso.kbd) = 6dbf00a423df479db7f5cc6d255edfd3

I've been in Germany 16 years, but I'm British, & avoid German keyboards
where possible.  If you'r German, Austrian or Swiss, & have worked on a wide
variety of different German hardware, you might know more, but
- It would help if you write from a .de address,
  quoting your international phone number starting +49, +41, or +43,
  & providing grammatical corrections to this sentence:
	"Es gibt mindestens Zwei verschiedener Deutsche Tastatur Belegungen,
	 soweit ich verstehe."
- To ask Germans how many German keyboard layouts standards _they_ think there
  are, subscribe to German FreeBSD mail lists via majordomo@de.freebsd.org.

Julian
-
Julian Stacey     Unix Consultant - Munich Germany     http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
 Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Kau/Schnupftabak probieren !
	Like Linux ?	Then also look at FreeBSD with its 5000+ packages !