Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:21:03 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysql connection through ssl tunnel

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 03:25:23PM -0400, John Almberg wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2008, at 10:09 AM, Vincent Hoffman wrote:
>> John Almberg wrote:
>>> I have two FreeBSD machines. One is a application server, the other a
>>> database server running mysql. These machines are in two different
>>> locations. I'd like to allow the application server to access mysql
>>> through an SSH tunnel.

I'm somewhat amazed at the fact that everyone so far has gone completely
wild with SSH to solve this problem.

Has anyone made the OP aware that MySQL *does* in fact support SSL
natively, and that it can be used between client and server, as well as
between master and slave (for replication)?

The SSH tunnelling idea is fine if you want to access a MySQL server
behind a firewall or on a private network, but I'm a bit confused as to
why everyone's going to great lengths to use SSH to accomplish something
MySQL has support for natively.

Please clue me in.  :-)