Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 03:54:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu (Mike Pritchard)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: [DEVFS] your opinions sought!

> I have a question:  what does the devfs file system get me, and
> why would I ever want to use it?  From what I've seen so far, it just
> looks like a complicated way to access my /dev/* files.

You might want to use it if it always had the right major and minor numbers
for devices that were dynamically added in..
one time it might be major 35 and the next time you boot, it could
be major 37 because you loaded the new WIZBANG driver as well.

it also means that disk slices can be shown only when they
actually exist on the disk..

/dev is never wrong..because each entry is set up
by the very driver that runs it..

(plus lots of other reasons to do with 'upcoming' stuff.)

think 'dynamic'

julian