Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 23:05:18 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <stest030@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Plea to the doc team

On Friday 04 October 2002 09:27 pm, Tom Rhodes appears to have written:
> Fellow Doc committers and contributers,
>
> Its been said over and over the use of 'you' in technical docs looks
> bad.  While I'm going to be at working cleaning up the doc tree of
> bad gammar (run-ons, incorrect use of semicolons, to many useless
> words and fragments) I'll try to kill the use of 'you'.

Perhaps, but it seems to me that the Handbook is not so much=20
technical documentation as it is a user manual.  There is a difference. =20
It should be designed to make the user comfortable with the information=20
being presented.

> My request is, if you remove the 'you' from documents you can cut
> down extremly on the amount you type, the amount a reader will
> read, and documentation size in general.  This IMO is a good thing
> and will also cut down on grammar bogons.

It isn't clear to this writer how this is to be accomplished.  Perhaps=20
if an example were provided of how one can "cut down extremly"=20
by eliminating the offending pronoun, the issue could be clarified.=20
One envisions a great deal of passive voice creeping in as a result of=20
this policy.

> If you have nothing to do between classes, please print a section
> of the handbook and skim it.  See where we use to many words,
> where paragraphs can be more clear or even where we make grammar
> mistakes.  Then committers please make
> the changes or contributers please create a patch file for us.

I guess I've been a bit lax about this for the past year or two.  Since=20
I actually am taking a class (for the first time in ten years) this=20
term, I have no excuse.  I'll try to cover a chapter or two.

> We could also use some 5.0 information.  Currently we seem to lack
> documentation on ACPI, device.hints(5), mail clients (I'm working)
> STMP auth (I'm working) and various other features.
>
> Thanks to all who have read this far ;)

My pleasure...

- Bob