Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:45:58 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: Improving bus/resource API

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 07:20 am, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> The patch below improves the bus/resource API such that between 10
> and 20 lines of code can be eliminated from the attach/detach
> functions of the average device driver.
>
> Therefore the best place to start is to read what the patch does
> to if_sis.c, which is a very typical case.
>
> The patch is backwards compatible in binary and source form so
> it is a potential candidate for RELENG_6 at some point.
>
> Compile tested on i386/amd64 and sparc64.  My alpha will be chewing
> on it for the forseeable future.
>

> For sanity in the ensuing bikeshed, let's take three topics in
> this order:
>
> 1. "what this does to the device driver sources."
>
> 2. "what this does to the rman/bus internals"
>
> 3. "suggestions for different function names"

I'll only comment on 3)

Maybe bus_read_{1,2,4}() rather than bsr_?  (Same with s/bsw_/bus_write_/).  I
do like having the accessors take just a resource rather than a tag, handle
pair.  Many drivers already hide this in wrapper macros already though.

For the dwiw (dwim? :-P) maybe since it takes an array, just make the
'resource' part plural, thus 'bus_alloc_resources()' and
'bus_release_resources()'?