Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:48:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: src/Makefile all sorted out.

[jkh]
> My SMP box is still in the process of being constructed, so you'll
> have to wait before I can tell you whether or not -j8 follows this
> trend for 2 P6/200 CPUs. :-)

For what it is worth: I found the best performance for compiles -j6 to
-j7 on an idle SGI Challenge with 4 CPUs, fast RAID disks, and enough
(1 GB) RAM.

An interesting experiment would be to try to make world with
everything on an MFS with enough RAM to back it - anybody out there
with enough RAM should try (I haven't, at the moment).

Eivind.