Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:12:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL *again* (was: New CODA release)

Sean Eric Fagan said:

> Oh, and I suggest all of you whiners -- Brett the Idiot in particular -- take
> a look at BSDi's commercial success vs. Caldera's or Red Hat's commercial
> success.  BSDi took the so-called "free" software, and made it proprietary,
> and is languishing.  And yet Caldera and Red Hat, which are using the
> apparantly anti-commercial GPL'd code, and are flourishing.

You are misreading the difference, and it is obvious:  free source availability.
BSDI isn't cheap anymore.  GPL is not the difference, other than companies
like red-hat acting like leaches from the bright eyed and bushy tailed
young developers who don't have the sense that they'll have to earn livings
later in their lives.

CDROM distributors have pretty much a free ride, and don't fund development.
Walnut Creek is doing some good by funding a real-free development, and one
has to applaud their support.

> Idiots.

Yep, those fools who are doing the work for free, without ever the chance of
being able to leverage their own genius, given the viral effects from bugfixes
from the net.  The vast majority of people out there aren't very smart, and
GPL demonstrates that.

This kind of reminds me of young people who have realized the benefits of
the results of their puberty.  They have lots of fun playing a risky and
losing game -- and it takes them a few years to realize how stupid they
have been.  When the reality of understanding how the world works sets in,
then they'll quit giving it away for free.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid