Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:35:43 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        EX-PRESSNET2 <irc@ex-pressnet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ULTRA160 SCSI Controller Card

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 14:19:25 -0800, EX-PRESSNET2 wrote:
> I was wondering if the Latest ver. of FreeBSD or FBSD 4.0 will support the Ultra160 SCSI Feature which delivers 160 Mbyte/sec transfer rates.

You have to have hardware that supports it.  I don't think any of the
drivers in the tree support Ultra160 yet.  Justin is working on support for
the Adaptec driver, and Gerard Roudier is working on support for his
Symbios driver.  From Matt's message, it looks like he is working on support
for QLogic's Ultra160 boards.

As for whether FreeBSD 4.0 will have support for those boards, that
probably depends on when 4.0 is released.  My guess is that all three
(Symbios, Adaptec and Qlogic) will probably be supported, but there are no
guarantees of course.

> Adaptec makes an Ultra160 PCI-to-Ultra2 SCSI Host Adapter (AHA-3950U2).
> Is this card compatible with FBSD or will it be?

The 3950U2 is not an Ultra160 board.  It is a dual channel Ultra2 board.
And yes, it does work with FreeBSD.  I've got one, in fact:

ahc0: <Adaptec 3950B Ultra2 SCSI adapter> irq 12 at device 10.0 on pci0
ahc0: aic7896/97 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
ahc1: <Adaptec 3950B Ultra2 SCSI adapter> irq 12 at device 10.1 on pci0
ahc1: aic7896/97 Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org