Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 1995 09:57:22 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.Freenix.FR, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, jehamby@lightside.com, questions@freebsd.org, R.L.Hesketh@ukc.ac.uk, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD suffer from the Intel RZ1000 IDE bug?

From: Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.Freenix.FR>
> It seems that Terry Lambert said:
> > > Less CPU load ?
> >
> > Is why you buy SCSI instead of IDE.
>
> I've been convinced of that for a long time  and will never buy *IDE.  The
> problem is that most people don't realize that IDE is only a
> money-only-short-term decision they pay one way or the other later.

IDE has one real drawback, you can't chain anywhere near the same extent,
so you really have to replace one drive with a larger drive for upgrades.

Don't get me wrong, for a high-end machine, I'd go SCSI all the way.

But for a machine where you do not head real fast disk access, and
can live with a reasonable max of 2-3 Gig, SCSI can't compare to IDE for
a cheap fast solution.

And on older (486) machines, a VLB IDE controller still gives better
performance (by observation, regardless of whether its technically possible).

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 11 Carver St, Nashua, NH  03060
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...