Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:22:15 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Subject:   Re: Bootstrapping perl (Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/perl Mak

On Tue 2000-06-27 (02:41), John Baldwin wrote:

> >> The problem here is that miniperl needs to be built early enough
> >> to be in the path perl "proper" is done.
> >>
> >> I thought build-tools was the answer; sadly that seems to be wrong.
> >> Now I'm looking at cross-tools (out of src/makefile.inc1).
> >
> > Adding something to bootstrap-tools implies that we can't use the
> > installed miniperl (backward compatibility problem) or the host doesn't
> > have miniperl.  The bootstrap-tools built miniperl would then be used
> > throughout the build and install stages.
>
> I think that's what we have in this case.  We need the newer version of
> miniperl to build perl, correct?

Yes, exactly.  We were only building libperl (statically) and miniperl
in the build-tools stage, so that miniperl (statically linked with
libperl) is available for the building later.

The choice to use crosstools is easier, since it by default installs the
tool into the "strict path", but Mark used build-tools and a path to
miniperl to do it instead, presumably since it is restricted to a very
minor bit of the tree.

(This reminds me that I have a skeleton document about 'make world' that
needs serious attention.  Too many projects.)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems