Date:      18 Nov 1998 14:02:09 -0600
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, wam@sa.fedex.com (William McVey), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would this make FreeBSD more secure?

> Umm... I have seen no one in this discussion mention this, so I'll
> say it, after repeating what someone DID say "Small well audited
> setuid programs are not a problem". Now... Here's my suggestion,
> my_xlock.c:
[snip]
> Seems simple enough to me, and could be used from scripts and
> everything.

Another point is that this could be easily augmented to handle other
authentication methods.  For example, OTPs, hand scanners, physical
keys, etc could all be handled by this one utility instead of having
to write it into each and every program that needs a password.
(Something keeps popping into my head talking about Kerberos, but I
don't know why.)

Happy hacking,
joelh

--