Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:41:18 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Dag-Erling Smorgrav" <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        "Tani Hosokawa" <unknown@riverstyx.net>, "David Kelly" <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, "Morten Seeberg" <morten@seeberg.dk>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SGI Donated Journalised FS Source to Linux

> You've totally missed the point. Linux is under GPL. The GPL forbids
> linking GPLed software with non-GPLed software. SGI can't develop XFS
> for Linux without using Linux, and to use Linux they have to agree to
> the terms of its license, which forbids them to release software that
> links with Linux except under the GPL.

	I've not missed the point. You have simply made some other point. My point
still stands, unless you can refute it.

	US law is a funny thing. You can buy a program that has a license agreement
that says you can't make a backup copy, but you still can. That right is
guaranteed by law.

	Similarly, a book can have a page in it that says you can't lend the book
out. But you still can. You have that right under law.

	I'm talking about (and I think I made this clear) rights that are
guaranteed under law. The licensing agreement cannot remove them. Please
read what I said again.

	DS