Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 17:23:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Dekkers <psd@dds.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: update or not?

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Paul Dekkers wrote:

> I currently run FreeBSD 2.2.1 on a mashine that's used as a multi-user
> system and I'm planning to setup a new mashine that doesn't let users log
> in but let it play web-server or mail-server or smth like that...
> I'm planning to put FreeBSD 2.2.1 on that server, but is that a good idea?
> I'm just doing it because I have that version on CD and I don't have newer
> versions... (although I can buy them) - Is the new version really that
> changed (security holes or in any other aspect (which? speed?) that I'd
> immediately buy the new version?

As always, there are changes and updates to the system.  The main problem
with staying on 2.2.1 is that it'll be difficult to update the system with
new additions and fixes since you're running on a code base two releases
old.

2.2.5 is a fairly significant update, though, adding login capabilites,
rc.conf, and others.

Since this is a play box, I suggest going for 2.2.5.  This way, you're
ahead of system changes and have some movement to experiment / learn about
new system features without distrupting your existing operations.  2.2.5
has been working great for me, but I do need to add some patches to fix
some stuff.

> If I'd upgrade the multi-user system, can I do that without any
> pain? What can I do to let it go nice and so on...?!

It's the usual upgrade procedure, except you have to rewrite sysconfig
into rc.conf.  It's quite easy if you're familiar with sysconfig.

> P.S. Or is it worth setting up for my home-system: is the awe 32 pnp
> supported? (including midi-player and so on?) (in that case it would be
> of interest ;-))

You'll need the new sound driver.  See the multimedia mail archives or
contact the list directly at multimedia@freebsd.org.