Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:22:16 +0100 (BST)
From:      Fred Clausen <fred@unique.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Ommision in section 17.3.4, titled "Enabling the Bridge".

Hi,

I'm using FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE.

I was reading the handbook to find out how to set up a machine to act as a
bridge. I followed the instructions in that section but it would not work.
I then read bridge(4) and it stated that one also needs to add interfaces
to the "cluster" by doing :

sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg=xl0,xl1

Where xl0 and xl1 are the interfaces in your machine. After doing that the
bridging worked as expected.

Also in section 17.3.3.1 titled "Network Interface Card Selection" it says
that one can get a list of cards that support bridging from bridge(4) but
there is no such list in that man page.

I could write an updated bridging section for the handbook and send it to
you if you like. Let me know if you are interested in such a contribution.

Kind regards, Fred.

--
Fred Clausen - Systems Administrator
Unique Interactive, part of UBC Media Group plc

http://www.ubcmedia.com
http://www.uniqueinteractive.co.uk
T: +44 (0)20 7453 1667 F: +44 (0)20 7486 5081