Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:07:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.co.uk>
To:        wes@softweyr.com
Cc:        rdawes@ucsd.edu, mestery@visi.com, jabley@patho.gen.nz, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 32-bit sparc port

Wes Peters wrote:
>Robert Swindells wrote:
>
>> This is the StrongArm system that I bought. It was cheaper than a
>> Netwinder and can use better graphics cards etc. since it is just
>> a motherboard. Plus it runs *BSD not Linux.

>Gee, at $550 for a motherboard + chip + 32MB RAM, it doesn't seem all
>that cheap.  I guess that's the wonder of the x86 world, I can buy a
>good quality motherboard, a K6-III 400, and a 64MB SDRAM DIMM (100
>Mhz) for $249.

Yeah, it doesn't compare well with x86 prices. The chip itself is
cheap though in production quantities.

I did buy it as a prototype system, it is a *lot* cheaper than an Intel
development board.

>The SA-110 is nice little chip, but a 400Mhz K6-III will stomp it into
>the ground on performance.

Sure, but a K6-III draws a little bit more than 450mW, more like 16W
even for the mobile version.

I love my Libretto but I only get about an hour out of the battery.
Something like the HP Journada with an IBM microdrive would make a
very nice laptop.

>Time for FreeBSD-arm?  Again?  ;^)

Maybe

Robert