Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 19:07:10 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler), jkh@time.cdrom.com, nate@sri.MT.net, phk@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

> Nate's comments about Flex are telling.  His insistence that he hasn't
> upgraded it "because it wasn't necessary" aren't borne out by the
> continuing questions being asked along the lines of "the Flex in /usr/bin
> is version a.b.c which is really old and has lots of bugs and can't be
> used to compile XYZ, you need version i.j.k instead".

But those programs aren't parts of ports or part of our base system,
it's importance/necessiry is minimal compared to 'fixing existing bugs'
and 'extending the current system'.  It's all a matter of priorities.
If flex was a critical component it would have been upgraded months ago.

> I'm not accusing Nate of being lazy; I'm suggesting that upgrading Flex
> would be a lot easier if it weren't necessary to start by rewriting the
> makefile from scratch.

It took me 20 minutes to upgrade flex today.  All of the work was done
by Geoff Rehmet originally, so upgrading was a breeze.  I suspect the
next version will also be a breeze.

Nate