Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 06:52:35 -0500
From:      "Frank E. Terhaar-Yonkers" <fty@mcnc.org>
To:        davidg@Root.COM, fty@mcnc.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic in latest -stable rev

Okay, duh ...

That fixed the panic.  New problem - all "tty" traffic to the console
locks up after a while.  This is weird.  I can stil do mouse things,
open xterms, but you just can't type into an xterm window or any
other text box.  After killing the session, which restarts the server,
xlogin wouldn't take typing as well.

I was able to telnet in from another machine.

Do we need a "make world" then, for this last change?

- Frank

 >>Latest SUP is not-so-stable ...
 >>
 >>I get an immediate panic on boot up of the latest -stable.  This
 >>happens via mount_msdosfs and results in a VM page fault.  Have dropped
 >>back to the rev of late March.  I took a dump on this, but savecore
 >>failed to find it.  Didn't match the magic #.
 >
 >   The LKMs are no longer compatible and must be rebuilt. There was a change
 >to the vnode structure that was required to fix a critical bug and this now
 >requires that either build support for all your filesystems "static" or
 >you rebuild your LKMs before mounting the filesystems that they are for. I
 >suggest making msdosfs static by adding:
 >
 >options "MSDOSFS"
 >
 >    to your kernel config file.
 >
 >-DG
 >
 >David Greenman
 >Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

Frank Terhaar-Yonkers,  Manager
High Performance Computing and Communications Research
MCNC
PO Box 12889	3021 Cornwallis Road
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina  27709-2889
fty@mcnc.org   voice (919)248-1417   FAX (919)248-1455

http://www.mcnc.org/hpcc.html