Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 19:54:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        totii@est.is (=?iso-8859-1?Q?=DEor=F0ur?= Ivarsson)
Cc:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: thickwisre<->thinwire

As =?iso-8859-1?Q?=DEor=F0ur?= Ivarsson wrote...
> Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >
> > As Chuck Robey wrote...
> > > I'm doing a bit of computer re-arrangement (keeps my life interesting) and
> > > I find I have to connect another computer to my existing home ethernet.
> > > Trouble is, the ethernet is thinwire, and the new computer (a DECStation
> > > 5000/120, which will be running NetBSD) is thickwire.  I'm going to be
> > > connecting it to my two existing FreeBSD boxes.
> >
> > It probably has an AUI 15 pin D connector. Just find a thinwire tranceiver,
> > they are quite abundant. Or if you have an AUI-10base5 tranceiver, rewire
> > it to use a BNC connector. The electronics are the same for 10base2 and
> > 10base5 (at least they are not distinguishable in normal use)
> >
> The specs changes only little and does not care for short cables.
> The main difference is the velocity factor of Thick Wire is lot higer
> than
> Thin Wire cable. The electronic is the same.

Not completely. The collision detect uses a diode connection to the central
conductor on the thinwire tranceiver, and is directly connected for
thickwire (or the other way around, I forgot that detail). This is at least
the difference in the NS8392 based implementation I used when I built
a couple of tranceivers myself (years ago, when they were rare and $ were
few ;-)

Wilko