Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 11:33:45 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Are we a Political Action Committee ?

On Wed, 13 May 1998 at 15:15:38 +0000, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> Mr. Hasty's letter to Dan Morales regarding Dell and Compaq is the
> inspiration for this question. Are we a Politcal Action Committee?
>
> Politics are of local interest. This is a global forum.
>
> Politics are of interest to individuals and the government whom they live
> under. This is a group and is not beholden to any particular government.
>
> Emotive political discussion on this list can only cause division. This
> should not happen.
>
> As a member of this group, I am woe to be included, by default, in
> positions and opinions that I do not, myself, agree with. To make an
> incredibly graphic example, "A letter to the President of the United
> States: We, the members of the FreeBSD community, think that you should
> nuke Dubai because they don't use enough FreeBSD." Ridiculous, perhaps.
> Would you like it if I sent off such a letter and plastered the FreeBSD
> name _or your name_ all over it?
>
>   -- What do you mean, No!?
>
> FreeBSD-advocacy should not be _directly_ engaged in the politics of
> governments.

Agreed.

More to the point, I think that any view purporting to be from
FreeBSD-advocacy should first be discussed in the group.  I don't have
any particular disagreement with Amancio for expressing his views, but
I did find it necessary to send a second message expressing my
personal disagreement with the view itself.

Greg