Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 18:30:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Holy Moley Batman... I love ccd.  and BTW, if you need 4gb d

On 16:22:33 Rashid  Karimov wrote:
>>      I had read/write at about 18+ Mb/sec ( didn't use IOZONE
>       though - was doing dd on huge files - 300+ MB, back and
>       forth between /dev/ull , /dev/zero and CCD based 25GB
>       partition.
>
>       Total of 3 wide AHAs and 6 Seagate Barracudas were used
>       at 200 Mhz PPRo MB by ASUS.
>
>       That was quite a box ( was used for USENET news ). Sounded
>       like a subway train all the time ( 6 HDs !), was very stable
>       and fast.
>
>       As far as I remember I had 256 in the ccd.conf file - it gave
>       about even read and write speeds.

This sounds a lot like something I'm going to try, only the opposite.
Was cleaning things out recently and noticed I had 6 small SCSI drives,
(1) 40M, (1) 80M, (3) 105M, and (1) 120M. Was going to use a 1542CF
but a co-worker had a VESA Adaptec and wanted an ISA Adaptec.

It looks like I can fit all 6 drives in an external SCSI case that
originally held a 5-1/4" FH drive and fit under a classic Mac.

Building the internal SCSI cable isn't going to be too hard but the
power routing looks like it could be a disaster if I try to do it
the easy way and buy bunches of 1-in-2-out power splitters. Have
seen insulation-displacement style floppy/hard drive power
connectors on some systems lately but haven't found a source. It
would be pretty easy to run a power bus with those power connectors
pressed on at each hard drive, much like the 50 pin connector on
ribbon cable for SCSI.

Anybody know of a source of these power connectors?
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net