Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 15:45:59 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /usr/include/netinet/in.h

Ian Noname wrote:

| > The general rule is "including includes from includes is bad".
|
| Okay, it's time to point out that these are opinions, not rules, and
| differing opinions exist.

There's no shortage of opinions.  They are like arseholes:
everybody has one.  But there are rules that have been carefully
worked out by people who have put a lot of time into them, and
those rules are documented in the man pages for each interface
in the system.  A programmer who can read can get this stuff
right without even rasing a sweat.

| My opinion is that if a given header file requires some aspect of another
| interface, that header should (nay, MUST) include what it needs for itself,
| rather than relying on something external to "do the right thing".   Why
| require thousands of programmers to remember all these interdependancies as
| opposed to one programmer encoding the depenancy once where it belongs and
| then everyone else can get on with their life and get some real coding done.

Why require programmers to learn their craft?  Why ask them to
waste their precious time gaining basic proficiency?  Why expect
them to bother to read the fine manuals for the interfaces they
feel inclined to use?  Get a grip -- programmers ought to be
competent at this stuff, especially when it must be just about
the simplest thing they need to learn.

| Programmer since 1972
| C programmer since 1985

Not yet a C programmer if the above is the best you can do.

| Demagogue since... well, as long as I can remember.  :-)

No comment.