Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:29:24 -0600
From:      Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD AT WORK

   Just thought I'd pass on the news that FreeBSD had it's debut and was
put into action today where I work.  I installed FreeBSD 3.4 on a Compaq
Deskpro 2000 (266mhz) machine the other day and the install went without
a hitch.  I gave it a dedicated IP address and got an Apache v1.3 web
server going and an FTP server.  I've been tasked with managing our
local intranet and plan on using the FreeBSD machine as a test bed for
comparing cost, stability and performance to other web servers on
different platforms like NT and OS/400.  I think it's already won the
cost comparison.  I created a home
page and linked it to all of our Lotus Notes databases, that are
currently running on an AS/400 (V4R4) Domino Server.  I couldn't believe
the difference in speed!  Accessing the databases through my Apache
server is a lot faster than using the notes client!  The pages look a
lot better in HTML than the old boring flat database style you see when
using the notes client.  Anyway, I gave my managers a demonstration and
they were pretty impressed.  I think this is just the beginning.  I
don't think I'm going to have a problem of finding ways to justify the
use of FreeBSD where I work anymore.  FreeBSD rocks!!  8^)

Joe

--

Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm
                                not sure about the former.