Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:19:57 +0200
From:      Ari Suutari <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   hw.ata.wc setting and atacontrol cap output do not match ?

Hi,

I have put

hw.ata.wc=3D"0"

to  /boot/loader.conf on some of my machines.
After booting, sysctl shows:

# sysctl hw.ata.wc
hw.ata.wc: 0

However, atacontrol shows different results:
# atacontrol cap 0 0
ATA channel 0, Master, device ad0:

ATA/ATAPI revision    4
device model          SAMSUNG SV1022D
Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes

it reports that write cache is still ENABLED ?
I wonder if the output is just wrong or the cache is still
being used. If I perform an "atacontrol reinit" then
atacontrol cap starts to report write cache as disabled.

I would very much like to write cache to really
be off, since I have some machines running
at locations which tend to have power failures
from time to time.

=09Ari S.