Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:51:58 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Project status

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Since you're asking, I'll try to briefly describe some of the new
> subsystems we're working on in -CURRENT (for appropriate values of
> "we")

Very interesting and useful, but I had something a bit more detailed
in mind.  Something like that could have been released with 5.0 and
should probably be released with 5.1 (or whatever the first "general
users" release is), to excite wider interest.

Maybe this should really go on -advocacy and/or -doc.

DEVFS -- I agree it's very elegant and useful.  No argument there.

> - devd is a daemon that uses features of DEVFS to detect the creation
>   or destruction of devices and apply various operations to these
>   devices (e.g. automatically run dhclient when you insert a NIC into
>   a pccard slot).  I believe it's mostly there to replace pccardd,
>   which NEWCARD obsoleted.

Actually NEWCARD hasn't (yet?) obsoleted much, only added support for
new stuff.  My hardware, and a lot of other existing hardware I
believe, works only with OLDCARD.  I don't know whether devd would
work with oldcard -- I use pccardd still.

GEOM - I like your description, but probably some unix-knowledgeable
newcomers would like something more detailed.  It sounds elegant.  It
hasn't been non-controversial (PHK alludes to the opposition in his
"GEOM is being merged" mail, and at least one senior developer has
made it known he isn't happy with it).  As you suggest, maybe some of
PHK's papers can be linked from the main pages (I didn't find much on
google, 'Poul-Henning Kamp GEOM Paper' yields only 12 hits and the
eurobsdcon link is broken).

KSE - since it's a work in progress, and right now (I believe) of
limited interest to end-users, I guess the level of detail you supply
is fair enough.

> Any more subsystems you're curious about?

Since you ask, I was planning to learn about the PAM thing (I guess
you're the right guy)... I never learned what its benefits are, and
maybe I got biased by a broken linux machine which would let me log in
without a password.

The other major 5.0 feature I noticed was ACPI.  Apparently a work in
progress, so maybe not good to make loud noises about it.  Any good
documents on that, other than the manpages?  I had problems with
suspend (or rather, standby), so I switched back to APM but I'm
willing to experiment.

- Rahul