Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 10:15:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions Discussion List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   manual dialout PPP si'l vous plait?

Greetings!

I need to dial my USR 144 out to connect with my school.  I have read
*Pedantic* and other docs (maybe I missed something?), but I still haven't
been able to get through the school's menu after connecting.

All I need to do is

  1.  send <CR>                  ; to open dialogue
  2.  wait for "username>"
  3.  send username <CR>
  4.  wait for "password>"
  5.  send password <CR>
  6.  wait for "keys:"
  7.  send '3' <CR>             ;  choose option 3 from menu

However, none of my various modifications to the ppp dialout files will
get me through the above dialogue.  I don't know if I need this CHAP thing
(I've been connecting with Warp to the school for a long time, and have
never seen "CHAP" mentioned anywhere).  Is there a way for me to just do
this manually, until I figure out the ppp file syntax -- i.e., after
connecting, I could manually enter the information myself, and then start
the juice by hitting some key (I think I used to do this in Doze by
hitting ESC)?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!  =)

Jeff

   jroberts@ashland.edu  >>>>  Jeff Roberts  <<<<  strider@acm.org