Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 11:06:23 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Pedro F Giffuni <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft giving back to FreeBSD !!

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 01:37:25AM -0700, Pedro F Giffuni wrote:

> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
>> Corel Draw is a nice program to have. [snip]
>> I even bought a copy of the program when I was running Linux on my
>> home PC.
>
> Even when I am aware that our linux emulator is excellent, I made up my
> personal excuse and I never buy commercial software for linux: A native
> port is always better...

Well, I was more of a Linux user a the time.
The port was native to the OS I was running at home :)

>> Then support was dropped.  And it seemed to bring back all those dim
>> memories of hating commercial vendors, just because of the ease which
>> they can 'abandon' their users with.
>
> Support? curious... MS office has always had bugs and I've never known
> anyone that calls MS asking for support (I bet it does happen though).
> Where I worked in a previous life we also paid this high support fees to
> IBM. When we stopped paying no one noticed the difference.

Well, english is not my native language, and it shows :/
By 'support' I meant active development, and technical support.

Your experiences with IBM are exactly what I was accustomed to, a few
years back; before I discovered Linux, GNU and open source.  Then, one
day I scratched it all, and thought 'hey, I will try FreeBSD, just for
a change'.  And that's pretty much it... I never looked back.
Documentation, support, and seeing a lively, active group of people
behind this, were among the most promiment reasons for this.

I always seem to feel warm and fuzzy inside, when I see a bug report
closed for FreeBSD.  Sometimes it might seem a bit long when this
happens, after the bug report is filed.  Then, one morning you wake up
and receive all those email messages from freebsd-bugs that shows a
developer spent the morning, afternoon, or night (whichever was best
at the time), and there is this lot of new messages indicating that a
dozen or so of bugs is dead: analyzed, fixed, committed, thank you!

This feeling, is somewhat rare (if in fact it exists at all), with
most commercial products I've worked so far.  Perhaps, this is one of
those bad luck things.  Then again, perhaps not :)

-giorgos